Sunday, July 19, 2009

None is too poor to give

None is too poor to give! We have been humbled everyday by the generosity of spirit and love we have found in communities in East Africa. In Dandora we recieved gifts from the community, meals in the small Christian communities, in Kitete, Tanzania the welcome meal hosted by local community members was the largest celebration I've ever seen in a place one would never expect. The choir here wrote us a song and preformed it and many others to us, they dressed us up and gave us traditional congas to wear and keep as a reminder of the community. Everytime we are introduced to different people they show so much love. We have been blown away by all this and these are just a few. How can people who struggle to eat, cannot afford to educate their children and get propper medicanes still give so much?

I knew so little about the Holy Cross community in East Africa before I came but I have been so inspired by these people. I have witnessed the programs these individuals work with everyday, they really reach the ground level and work with the people to create better more just and loving socities. I hope all University of Portland students like myself have the opportunity to see the work of the Holy Cross in action, like I have. On top of the work they do to help communities grow and be healthy they also are the coolest, most fun people I have ever encountered. I hope to come back and work with the Holy Cross in East Africa as soon as possible. They bring life to people and it is so beautiful to witness on be a part of.

Sorry this blog has not been maintained as well as we desired, we got the real experience and rarely had internet and when we did it was quite limited. We are heading back to Kenya tommorow and then one day in Niarobi and then we are on a plane back home. Cannot wait to share more of our stories and experiences face to face when we get back home.

This trip has been the most educational part of my college career so far. Learning from the local people is so empowering, we hope through relationship we can give back some of the joy and knowledge they instilled in us. I love East Africa and the Holy Cross!

No comments:

Post a Comment